Do you know how to prevent cavities from forming? Cavities are the result of damage to your tooth enamel to the point that a hole has formed in a tooth. Although your tooth enamel is a very strong protective layer of your teeth, it can be damaged as the result of plaque buildup and harmful acids.
If a cavity forms your tooth’s pulp can become vulnerable to infection and decay. If left untreated, tooth loss can occur. Listed below are a few common tips to help you prevent cavities:
– Cavities can occur at any time, so remember to brush and floss daily for the entirety of your life.
– When choosing a toothbrush and dental floss, use products that are recommended by your dentist or feature the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
– Avoid foods and drinks that are sticky and chewy, as they can linger in your mouth long after consumption and can continue to damage your teeth and gums.
– Try using supplementary dental cleaners after meals, such as mouthwash.
– Always attend your scheduled checkups and professional cleanings at your dentist so that they can check your smile for cavities.
– Avoid sugars and acidic foods and stick to a balanced healthy diet including foods that have a high water content.
No matter the needs you require from your smile, at Wassif Family & Cosmetic Dentistry we can help. Dr. Cindy Wassif and our team can give you a comprehensive oral examination to determine which if you have any cavities. To schedule a visit to our office in Middle River, Maryland, please call 410-687-1162. Let us show you the benefits of a healthy smile today!