A cavity results from a hole in our teeth. Although our teeth are protected by a thin layer called tooth enamel, there are ways for the enamel to break down. The addition of large masses of bacteria on our teeth, called plaque buildup, use sugars in our diet to create acids that can strip away the tooth enamel, leaving our teeth completely exposed.
Fighting fearsome foes requires fearsome tactics. Use these ultra-effective tips to combat cavities:
– Eat beneficial foods and try to avoid snacking throughout the day.
– Floss at least one per day with ADA-approved dental floss or an approved dental flossing tool.
– Studies have shown that chewing sugarless gum for 20 minutes after a meal can facilitate the production of saliva, which can combat cavities.
– Use additional cleaning methods, such as mouthwash, to wash away food residue and harmful bacteria.
– Avoid sugary snacks and drinks. Sugar can be changed into harmful acids in your mouth that can eat away at tooth enamel.
– Visit your dentist at Wassif Family & Cosmetic Dentistry during your scheduled times for oral examinations and professional cleanings.
– Improve your oral hygiene by practicing more effective behaviors to brush and floss.
– Brush your teeth twice daily with ADA-approved toothpaste and a comfortable properly-sized brushing apparatus with soft bristles.
If you would like to schedule an oral exam or professional cleaning with Dr. Cindy Wassif, please call our office at 410-687-1162. You can also make an appointment by visiting our office in Middle River, Maryland. Your smile deserves the highest of care, and we can gladly provide it.